For those of you participating in ROW80, I previously entered under a different blog http://www.blog.co.uk/user/koldham/ but have moved to WordPress since so many of you are here, and it seems so much more appropriate for the purpose. I’m also operating under the name I wish to be known for amongst fellow writers. Also, sorry for the spelling error on the linky from ROW80 – please forgive me!
Well, a thoroughly productive night that has seen me wander around the community of WordPress, essentially meeting and greeting. I have also viewed so many helpful blogs, articles and external sites that I hope to come back to again.
What’s even more thrilling though is hitting targets or, more specifically, smashing them. For http://aroundofwordsin80days.wordpress.com/blog/ I set myself a daily goal of 750 words which, for the most part, I found achievable. It just became more difficult if my breaks were shorter at work but I always managed to make that up on my day off.
The last couple of days though, I have wanted to push myself a bit harder to try to get a feel for what it would be like if I was writing full time. Whilst I have still been quite lax, as in I haven’t been writing solidly, I have had regular breaks and I have been browsing various networks, I have still achieved 5135 words today which brings my WIP total to 17625!
I am ecstatic! And, in total, it’s only about 2.5 hours work – how amazing is that? If I continue to do this on my days off then I should have the novel’s draft complete approximately within a month.
I’m obviously going to need to do some more planning and brainstorming as I’ve sped my way through several chapters, many of which will need more adding to it later on down the line, but I have the bare bones there to work with which is thrilling to me.
In other news…
In my wanderings I have spotted a few things I would like to look into further such as http://www.write1sub1.com/ that encourages you to work towards getting more of your work ‘out there’.
I am ensuring I have at least 2 or 3 days off work to get stuck into the novel. I really want to write seriously and, as much as I’d love to have the extra cash, I’ve given myself a bit of a head start with the two weeks of working 6 shifts each week. Once I sell the car I can then pay for the two day courses I want to do in February with http://www.stephenlloydtraining.co.uk/index.htm
From Friday I will be making more of an effort to make more home cooked foods (if you have any simple and cheap recipes for meals or baked goods you’d recommend, please do let me know).
This week I have also decided to take a more active interest in promoting myself as a writer. I’ve been ‘getting out there’, I have set up the WordPress account under my pseudonym and set up a facebook fanpage https://www.facebook.com/KellyCautillo
This following week I aim to:
- x1 blog post a week provisionally set for Friday re: social issues etc as per the ideas outlined in my post yesterday about philanthropy and humanitarianism.
- 5,000 words (WIP) on each day off.
- Read x2 books a week for http://www.bookchickcity.com/2011/12/sign-up-100-books-in-year-reading.html (may use my breaks for this, rather than writing).
- Try x1 new recipe a week.
- Bake x1 batch of biscuits/loaf etc a week or as needed.
- Take some of baked goods/meal for Mum and Ian whenever I make.
- Walk to the train station (2 miles) – do not cheat – when going to work.
- Drink more juice/water – not to count coffee/tea.
- Continue to network and post relevant material through my fb author page https://www.facebook.com/KellyCautillo
- Compile a list of ideas for short stories and blog posts.
Quite a hefty plan I dare say. But I quite like pushing and testing myself. I actually don’t feel tired from this kind of work, but to push myself at work… that’s a different story. lol.
I hope everyone’s have a great time going through their work and I look forward to hearing from you!